POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Free Vector Editor exports to POV : Re: Free Vector Editor exports to POV Server Time
31 Jul 2024 16:31:15 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Free Vector Editor exports to POV
From: Bill Pragnell
Date: 20 Apr 2007 12:15:01
Message: <web.4628e5fca1d76b2a731f01d10@news.povray.org>
Nicolas George <nicolas$george@salle-s.org> wrote:
> I see that the curve for the wine inside the class (not the open surface) is
> not the same as the curve of the inner side of the glass. That is especially
> true on the bottom. Is it done on purpose? Why?

Yes, to avoid coincident surfaces. There may be a small amount of
interreflection this way, but I can't detect it. This model is not the main
subject of the image it was intended for so I didn't try too hard.

I suppose a better way of doing it would be to make the wine/glass curve
match the glass inner surface exactly, and then scale the wine by
<0.999,1,0.999> or something. Must remember that! :-)

Bill